Friday, May 23, 2008

Sex and The City vs. Rocky Horror Picture Show

The other day on the radio my father was telling me there was a girl who said she had sex at like 13 or 14 because she thought it was ok from watching Sex and The City. I hate when people blame their actions on media. Of course...media DOES influence us and our tastes..but really.
When I was 7 my crazy drug addict aunt (shes clean now btw) was supposed to be watching me...so what she did was put on Rocky Horror Picture show in the family and left to do who knows what. I sat there..watching this Transsexual man whom I could've sworn I've seen play other none men that looked like ladies...create a muscle man...take advantage of Janet then take advantage of Brad and in the end have a huge orgy in the pool. Did this make me want to start dressing of the opposite sex? no. Did this make me want to go and have sex? hell no I didn't even understand it when I watched it. Did this make me think it was ok to act as these crazy amazing characters acted...once again..no.
My friends and cousins have been playing violent video games since the beginning of time..well since they've been around anyways. These things never made any of them go and shoot up the school or kill their parents or think it was ok to steal etc.
We always scapegoat.
Sometimes when certain people see or play certain things it does put things in their minds. BUT parents are supposed to monitor their children. Help them. Watch them. Make sure they're not killing people or having sex in the car outside. Shouldn't we ourselves take some responsibility for our actions and perhaps shouldn't the parents of children who do terrible acts take some responsibility as well?
Now...kids today have sex at like 12..that girl saying it was Sex and The Cities fault is nutso. Damn just admit it...you wanted to do it.

No comments: