Sunday, March 15, 2009

Friendship Bracelets and Mishka Opening

After interning with the dudes and girl (didn't forget about you lady) at MishkaNYC for about 6 months now,I have to say events leading up to the grand opening of the store have been an adventure. However, after it's all been said and done I'm so happy it's finally opened and was a success. Friday was wild, with all the people in an out, the birthday cake for gill, the 300 red stripes, the cops, and the whiskey shot. However, it was a blast. The store looks great. Mishka has come so far as a brand and as a company. I love these dudes and this company trust when I say it's worth checking them out..you won't regret it.
www.mishkanyc.com

On another note..friendship bracelets.
The art of the friendship bracelet I'm sure has been around for decades. I love these things. I've loved them ever since I was about 6 and attended my first session of girl scout camp..yes I was a girl scout. It was inevitable that at summer camp an activity you would experience was learning how to tie your first knot on a piece of string. Then tie a few more, and then some more, until it started to turn like a staircase. Hence, the beginnings of a friendship bracelet.
I must say being the arts and crafts nerd I was I did a little reading up on the friendship bracelet and soon taught myself every kind there was out there. I began making them religious, holy shit did I love making them for people. I made them for my friends, my mom, my dad, my brother, really I made them for anyone I felt I cared for. And I also loved wearing them myself. I wore them on my ankles and my wrists. They were everywhere and I loved it.
I retired this act of making the friendship bracelet for a long long time..and then I became a counselor. And with that my joy and love for the friendship bracelet was reignited. I dug out all my old string and began to make them. I gave them to anyone and everyone who would except them and rock em proudly. I've never understood people who wouldn't wear a friendship bracelet..stating they "don't wear jewelry". What a cop out. A friendship bracelet can hardly be deemed jewelry..it's not flashy, it doesn't cost anything, it's a proud gift and almost an insult to deny.
Anyways...my left wrist is now becoming ornamented by these lovely bracelets and I must say I'm not ashamed. Joys like friendship bracelets, coloring pictures, and making mix tapes keeps a part of us alive that is being smushed by adult hood and technology. As far as I'm concerned, long live the friendship bracelet and prolonged adolescents.

No comments: