Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Update..Shootings

UPDATE: 34 people in all were killed (thats including the gunman). Apparently, the police did not shoot him down but when they finally got into the engineering building he had already turned the gun on himself.
It's being said that the gunman was Korean, and attending the University on a student visa. I'm sure more and more will continued to be found and discussed in this case.
The only truly scary thing is that this kind of hits close to home, being that I myself are in college and most of my friends and family are in or will be in college. Seeing the pictures of the students killed and the Professors almost brought me to tears. It's terrifying. Like I said before if school isn't safe anymore what is?
A lot of people are saying that there should've been more security and police should've done a better job at predicting where he would be. Well..hindsight is 20/20 and theres no way they could've known, especially since hey got a lead which led them in the opposite direction from where the second shootings occured.
It's just not logical to think that colleges and universities around the world are going to have armed patrol men on campus. I'm sure something will happen in response to this (much like the metal detectors etc that occured after colombine). But, if you think about it, since he was a student at the campus, if they had guards at every building he would still have access in because he would've had a student idea.
I know at Sage, as well as Siena, St.Rose, and SUNY you really only need an ID to get into the cafeteria and the dorms..so how can action be taken to make a campus more safe?
There are school that have guards in every building, including F.I.T where I'm transferring and other city schools I have been in. But, all you have to do is show your student ID and your free to go and do as you please.
I guess the real question is...what else can you do? What other measures, if any, can be taken to prevent this from happening again? More servillances, better security? I mean would either of these really matter if a person knew a campus and knew a way around them? We're starting to live in a Big Brother world where every aspect of our lives is needing to be monitored to keep us "safe". Obviously, something needs to happen, but what?

No comments: